Sophos Mobile Control v4.0
July 17, 2014
Price starts at 31.50 per year.
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Solid product with integration of mature product resources.
- Weaknesses: Maintenance fee structure was not clear.
- Verdict: A solid, quality enterprise-capable product.
The Sophos Mobile Control tool is intended for an enterprise environment. It is centrally administered and managed. The solution is available as a SaaS-hosted solution or by means of a Sophos managed service provider (MSP) partner. Sophos Mobile Control is an enterprise mobility management solution which offers mobile device management, mobile application management, mobile email management, mobile content management and mobile security and compliance through an easy-to-handle, web-based user interface. In general terms, mobile devices using iOS, Android (including Samsung Knox) and Windows Phone are supported. Specifically, the products supported include Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch starting from iOS v4.3 to the current version; Android's smartphones from v3 to current version; tablets range from Android 3.0 to the current version; Windows Mobile v6.1 and 6.5; all BlackBerry devices supported by a BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5.0.3; and Windows Phone 8.0 to current version.
Sophos Mobile Control (SMC) also supports BYOD initiatives with its self-service portal. Customers can handle most of the help desk activities themselves if admins choose this path. The Sophos Mobile Control product is able to configure all settings on the managed devices, including device encryption, data sharing between apps, and a Sophos document vault. Customers can select their preferred method of configuration deployment whether by "on premise" or through a managed service offering direct from Sophos' hosted SaaS offering or one of Sophos' trusted managed service partners. Users can be granted authority to register any number of their own personal mobile devices, as well as their corporate devices, all at one price point.
Documentation came in the form of a long list of documents, each one providing excellent information for each feature of the product. In addition, Sophos provided Word documents containing URLs and a quick-start set of instructions. The downloaded documents were clear and easy to understand. After reviewing some videos, time was spent preparing to enroll devices into the SMC. An iPad was provided by Sophos as a mobile test device and was used to walk through the features. The SaaS installation option was used for this evaluation. Configuration, user provisioning and device enrollment took only minutes.
The dashboard was feature-rich and easy to navigate. The dashboard sported both graphic and text lists that presented rich content and intuitive options. All of the features of an enterprise MDM were present - including policy, user and device management solutions. One of the features of note was the integration of the anti-virus and protection solution well known to Sophos customers.
The Sophos Mobile Control subscription comes with 24/7 support, which includes phone and email as well as an easy-to-navigate FAQ and knowledge base. The company's website is filled with rich content including videos and documents. A platinum support option is also available for customers with a specific contract.
Value for money is good.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- State breakdowns: Anthem breach by the numbers
- Botnet of Joomla servers furthers DDoS-for-hire scheme
- New SSL/TLS vulnerability, FREAK, puts secure communications at risk
- Report: Majority of health-related websites leak data to third parties
- Researchers investigate link between Axiom spy group, Anthem breach
- Clinton's use of private email spawns security, transparency debate
- Android 'Gazon' worm proliferates through texts, infects more than 4k phones
- Ramirez: FTC focus on data security, fraud, cross device tracking
- Greenwald says Snowden invoked changes toward privacy
- Playing defense in ranks: Cybersecurity reimagined