Sutter Health faces lawsuit after lost computer

Individuals affected by the massive data breach at Sutter Health, in which the personal information of 4.2 million patients went missing when an unencrypted desktop computer was stolen, have filed a class-action lawsuit against the Northern California-based health care system, according to a report in The Sacramento Bee.

The suit, filed Monday in Sacramento Superior Court, contends that the company was negligent in securing its computer systems and in notifying victims about the incident. 

The computer was stolen Oct. 17, but impacted patients weren't alerted until about a month later.

The Bee report, citing a Sutter spokesman, said the company wouldn't comment on the lawsuit but that it needed time to investigate the incident before notifying those affected.

Last week, the company said it plans to expedite plans to encrypt all desktops.

"[Sutter] has already encrypted portable laptops and Blackberries systemwide, and was in the process of encrypting desktop computers throughout the system when the theft took place," a notice to patients said.


More in News

Privacy-bolstering "Apps Act" introduced in House

The bill would provide consumers nationwide with similar protections already enforced by a California law.

Microsoft readies permanent fix for Internet Explorer bug used in energy attacks

Microsoft is prepping a whopper of a security update that will close 33 vulnerabilities, likely including an Internet Explorer (IE) flaw that has been used in targeted website attacks against the U.S. government.

Weakness in Adobe ColdFusion allowed court hackers access to 160K SSNs

Up to 160,000 Social Security numbers and one million driver's license numbers may have been accessed by intruders.