Trend Micro Smart Protection Complete v11
August 04, 2014
Trend Micro, Inc.Product:
Starts at $49/year for 501 users. Smart Protection for Endpoints, which excludes gateway, mail server and SharePoint components, starts at $25/year (15 GBP) in similar volume.
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Full-featured product components designed for ease of use.
- Weaknesses: Hard to find a weakness.
- Verdict: Outstanding product.
Data protection features at the endpoint include port/device controls, endpoint encryption and integrated DLP.
The suite is enhanced at the gateway level by web, email, instant messaging and SharePoint server protection capabilities. Email protection capabilities can be configured as a gateway, and/or on an Exchange or IBM Domino server. Web and email gateway capabilities are offered as on-premise or SaaS offerings (and customers are licensed for both options automatically). Trend Micro also offers a lower-cost Smart Protection for Endpoints suite, which excludes the gateway, IM and collaboration capabilities. Smart Protection Complete also includes mobile device management and mobile app management capabilities for mobile devices and endpoint protection for Mac OS computers, enabling all end-user devices to be managed centrally and in a consistent fashion.
Central management is provided through the included Trend Micro Control Manager, which delivers alerts and integrated dashboard views (including user-centric incident timelines and compliance dashboards) across on-premise and SaaS components. Administrators set centrally managed policies, which are then deployed to the various endpoint types, gateways and servers.
Trend Micro hits all of the marks with its product suite. Some of the standout features include Deep Root Cause Analyzer, command-and-control capability, the Trend Threat Database, browser exploit protection, application endpoint whitelisting, and Virtual Patching at the endpoint (the virtual patch is auto-removed when the physical patch is applied). The company provides intuitive documentation for installation, configuration and operation, as well as a meaningful popup help feature. The tool's components are typically deployed on Windows 7 or 8 computers. Server components are typically deployed on Windows Server 2012, with one physical server per software server subject to user count limitations (large user bases can require multiple servers). The system installation was fast by means of an application installer that used a script to automatically launch each component of the suite. The dashboard included a balance of text and graphics.
Trend provides a basic, no-cost standard support offering that includes 24/7 phone support. Fee-based options are also available, including incremental support charges that are applicable if the customer wishes to have ongoing access to a customer service manager resource. The fee options start at $30,000/year for access to shared resources, higher for dedicated resources. The company also provides phone and email support in addition to website support, a knowledge base and FAQ features.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- CTB-Locker ransomware variant being distributed in spam campaign
- 'Sexy Girls' wallpaper app in Google Play store accessed account info
- Proposed CFAA revisions agitate IT security community
- New attack uses ransomware to drop trojans and keyloggers
- 'GHOST' bug in Linux library enables remote takeover of victim's system
- Zeus variant targeting Canadian banks, U.S. banks may also be a target
- Winnti trojan may help set stage for Skeleton Key attacks, analysts say
- FTC settles with revenge porn site operator
- Upatre, Dyre used in Univ. of Florida attack
- Wisconsin chiropractic clinic notifies 3,000 patients of insider breach