Trio indicted in connection with Comcast.net hijacking

A trio of alleged hackers was indicted Thursday on charges that it took down Comcast's homepage and email service for several hours last year.

Christopher Lewis, 19, of Newark Del., James Black, 20, of Tumwater, Wash. and Michael Nebel, 27, of Kalamazoo, Mich. each were charged with redirecting traffic destined for www.comcast.net to sites of their choosing, which claimed responsibility for the attack, according to an indictment.

The defendants, part of the hacker group Kryogeniks, were able to redirect visitors by changing Comcast's DNS records, maintained by Network Solutions, a third-party registrar, prosecutors said.

Philadelphia-based Comcast lost $128,578 as a result of the May 28, 2008 prank, which prevented customers from retrieving their email, voicemail and other services, the indictment stated.

If convicted, the defendants each face up to five years in prison, up to three years of supervised release following any prison time and a $250,000 fine.

A Comcast spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment on Friday.

Not long after the attack, Wired conducted an interview with two of the defendants, who admitted their role. They said they decided to proceed with the traffic redirection only after a Comcast IT manager, who they tried to reach to explain what they were doing, hung up on them.


Sign up to our newsletters

More in News

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial CISPA

House Intelligence Committee OKs amended version of controversial ...

Despite the 18-to-2 vote in favor of the bill proposal, privacy advocates likely will not be satisfied, considering two key amendments reportedly were shot down.

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help in ID'ing alleged hackers

Judge rules hospital can ask ISP for help ...

The case stems from two incidents where at least one individual is accused of accessing the hospital's network to spread "defamatory" messages to employees.

Three LulzSec members plead guilty in London

Ryan Ackroyd, 26; Jake Davis, 20; and Mustafa al-Bassam, 18, who was not named until now because of his age, all admitted their involvement in the hacktivist gang's attack spree.