November 01, 2011
starts at $9,995
- Ease of Use:
- Value for Money:
- Overall Rating:
- Strengths: Full-feature web application firewall with many advanced features.
- Weaknesses: None that we found.
- Verdict: With its excellent value, WebDefend is our Recommended choice.
WebDefend from Trustwave offers up some excellent features beyond strictly being a firewall. This product includes a lot of dynamic functionality, including an automated behavioral analysis engine that can minimize the necessary time needed for configuration. This appliance will also monitor outgoing traffic to ensure protection from data leakage and theft.
We found deployment to be a fairly straightforward process, but it did include many steps. The majority of the configuration was designed to make sure our environment met the recommended setting for deployment. After the appliance was set in motion, we found the rest of the configuration to be easy and intuitive. All administration is done through a management application, and we found the interface of the app to be easy to navigate with a clean and organized look.
The strong point of this appliance is its ability to go beyond just blocking attacks. This product can do virtual patching of web applications to ensure protection, even if the application has not been formally fixed. This tool also provides a real-time look into applications to identify potential problems and trends.
Documentation includes a getting-started manual and a user guide. The former provides in-depth detail of deployment options, recommended scenarios and initial installation instructions. The user guide offers detailed instructions on how to configure and use the product features and contains many screen shots and examples in a clear and organized format.
Trustwave offers standard, eight-hours-a-day/five-days-a-week and premium 24/7 support as part of an annual maintenance agreement. This phone- and email-based technical support, as well as access to an online portal.
At a price just under $10,000, we find this product to be an excellent value for the money. The Trustwave WebDefend appliance provides solid protection with many advanced features at a reasonable price.
SC Magazine Articles
- Three zero-days found in iOS, Apple suggests users update their iPhone
- MedSec goes its own way with medical device flaw
- Voter databases in two states breached by foreign hackers, FBI
- Juniper confirms leaked "NSA exploits" affect its firewalls, no patch released yet
- Ransomware: The evolution of cybercrime, a roundtable
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- Wendy's POS breach 'considerably' bigger than first thought
- No hacking required: Israeli researchers show how to steal data through PC components
- Don't connect your charging cell to a computer or you may get hacked!
- China allows foreign tech firms to participate in creating cybersecurity standards
- Fantom and FairWare ransomware discovered
- Six senators urge Obama to prioritize cybercrime at G20 summit
- Creating a buzz: USBee software causes air-gapped computers to leak data via USB connections
- Privacy advocates upset over FAA drone regulations, citizen takes action