Verdasys Managed Service
November 01, 2013
As part of a data protection managed service, list price is $6 to $10 per user per month.
Of the products we reviewed for this group, this is a favorite. We don't prefer it because it does more than any of the others - they all are quite competent. We like it because it is simplicity itself to deploy and use. Organizations that really need this functionality are not always big, well-staffed and funded entities. Anything that can get the requisite security for these organizations without over-stressing already tight resources is welcome. This product suite - it works most effectively as part of the company's Digital Guardian offering - is just what is needed.
First, this is a cloud-based managed service. It has an agent that resides on the endpoint and it communicates with the cloud. However, only the metadata and information that drives the dashboard actually leave the enterprise. No actual data ever relocates to the cloud provider.
Some of the classification capability is a technical integration with TITUS making it doubly robust. Classification can be by user, context (such as where the document came from) or by content.
The cloud side of the application collects metadata, provides a monitoring platform for administration and provides a platform for creating and deploying policies. Reporting is complete, including a designated forensic report that allows in-depth analysis of problems with a document that may have been or was attempted to be compromised.
This is a straightforward, low-cost service, well-suited to smaller enterprises with sensitive information to protect. Taken with the Digital Guardian service, it provides a solid basis for protecting documents and email that are quite sensitive.
At a glance
Product Managed Service for Information Protection - Data Classification Module
Price As part of a data protection managed service, list price is $6 to $10 per user per month.
What it does As part of the Digital Guardian program, provides data classification.
What we liked Simplicity and low cost of a comprehensive cloud-based service.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- CISO salaries and demand for cyber-skills skyrockets, surprising no-one
- Skype targeted by T9000 backdoor trojan
- Student SSNs exposed in University of Central Florida breach
- Malwarebytes says sorry for multiple AV bugs, still unpatched
- Ransomware and POS attackers to zero in on small businesses, retailers
- Obama goes hard on cybersecurity, new CNAP commits funds, resources
- NSA reorg could strengthen defense ops
- Pro-Palestine hacktivist makes good on threat, posts data on FBI and DHS personnel
- Microsoft's February Patch Tuesday: 13 bulletins addressing 36 vulnerabilities
- Draft Investigatory Powers Bill draws fire from Parliamentary committee