READER TRUST AWARDS
Best Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) Protection
An advanced persistent threat (APT) product and/or service provides real-time detection of and protection against intruders gaining access to an enterprise environment to stealthily extract high-value information assets from targeted organizations in manufacturing, financial, national defense and other industries.
- Check Point Software Technologies for Check Point Threat Prevention
- McAfee for McAfee Advanced Threat Defense
- Palo Alto Networks for WildFire
- Sourcefire for Sourcefire Advanced Malware Protection (AMP)
- Websense for Websense TRITON Enterprise
Best Cloud Computing Security Solution
These technologies are deployed to protect data and/or applications in a cloud environment. They may also protect the cloud computing infrastructure itself. Cloud computing security concerns are numerous for both providers and their customers, and include security and privacy worries, compliance issues and legal/contractual problems. Solutions or services in this category can provide for the protection of data or applications in the cloud, protection for traffic flowing between companies and their cloud service providers, policy management and encryption capabilities, privileged user access and controls or more.
- Check Point Software Technologies for Check Point Virtual Appliance for AWS
- Juniper Networks for Firefly Host
- Palo Alto Networks for VM-Series
- Rapid7 for Rapid7 UserInsight
- Trend Micro for Deep Security
- Zscaler for Zscaler Direct-to-Cloud Network
Best Computer Forensic Solution
Products in this category fall into two sub-categories: network and media. The network tools must be exclusively intended for forensic analysis of network events/data. If the product is a SIEM with forensic capabilities, it should be placed in the SIEM category. Media tools cover just about all other non-network forensic tools, including those tools that collect data from media over the network and live forensic tools. This also includes specialized forensic tools that are not intended to analyze network data.
- AccessData Corp. for Forensic Toolkit
- Cyber Security Technologies for P2P Marshal
- Guidance Software for EnCase Forensic
- Lancope for Lancope's StealthWatch System
- RSA, the security division of EMC, for RSA Security Analytics
Best Data Leakage Prevention (DLP) Solution
Products in this category include those that help organizations safeguard their intellectual property and customers' critical data persistently – inside and outside the company. Network-based and endpoint data leakage prevention products will be considered. Products should prevent data from unauthorized exit from the network, or protect data on the endpoint – whether the endpoint is connected to a network or not. Products typically are policy-driven and should include scanning of all data, regardless of protocol or application leaving the network, and/or keep track of peripherals, such as removable storage and attached to the endpoint – reporting that inventory to a central location or administrator. All entrants should have the capability of being managed by a centralized administrator. Those products considered part of this category include: network DLP products, which are typically gateways; those products protecting only endpoints; and hybrid products that operate at both the gateway to the network and at the endpoint. Specifically for endpoint DLP, traffic should be monitored and encryption should be available.
- DeviceLock for DeviceLock Endpoint DLP Suite
- RSA, the security division of EMC, for RSA DLP
- Safetica Technologies for Safetica 5
- WatchDox for WatchDox
- Websense for Websense Data Security Suite
Best Database Security Solution
Protecting its critical information is the number one priority for many organizations. An integral component of this is to secure corporate databases. Entries here should include solutions that help customers safeguard mission-critical database environments. Features of these offerings can run the gamut – from encryption to access management to logging and monitoring. Be sure to explain the specific ways the solution protects these corporate crown jewels and the features present to ensure exposures are mitigated.
- Check Point Software Technologies for Check Point 13500 Appliances
- DB Networks for DB Networks IDS-6300 Core IDS
- McAfee for McAfee Database Security Suite for Databases
- Netwrix for Netwrix Auditor
Best Email Security Solution
Email security addresses the ability to exchange email messages with assurance, as well as the ability to filter email messages based on content, source or other criteria. Solutions should ensure the privacy of sensitive messages, limit the repercussions of email forgery and manage other aspects of safeguarding email within the organization. These products are enterprise-centric and should have, but are not required to have, some form of centralized management. They may include spam filters, junk mail filters, malware filters, unauthorized content (sometimes called “extrusion protection” or “data leakage protection”), phishing and other types of undesirable content. However, these are not simply anti-spam filters. These email security products should be evaluated on their effectiveness, manageability, non-intrusiveness, ease of use, and other factors that impact the implementation of this type of product in the enterprise environment. They typically provide features such as email encryption, digital signatures, automatic shredding of messages and attachments, and more.
- Barracuda Networks for Barracuda Email Security Service
- McAfee for McAfee Email Protection
- Proofpoint for Proofpoint Enterprise Protection / Proofpoint Enterprise Privacy
- Trend Micro for ScanMail
- Websense for Websense Email Security Gateway Anywhere
Best Fraud Prevention Solution
Given the reliance on the internet by consumers from all walks of life to conduct any number of retail, banking or other transactions, fraud prevention solutions have become critical. Tools nominated in this category strive to minimize online privacy and security problems that could lead to fraud and, therefore, impact both the company and the customer. Still an evolving area of information security, there are a slew of solutions and services available that could qualify for consideration in this category – from authentication and enhanced encryption solutions to secure web communication or malware-detection offerings.
- CA Technologies for CA eComMinder with CA RiskMinder
- Entrust for Entrust TransactionGuard
- RSA, the security division of EMC, for RSA Silver Tail
- SpectorSoft for Spector 360 Recon
- Trusteer for Trusteer Pinpoint Malware Detection and Trusteer Pinpoint Account Takeover (ATO) Detection
Best Identity Management Solution
Products in this category address the identity management lifecycle in an enterprise environment, including password management, user provisioning and enterprise-access management.
- CA Technologies for CA IdentityMinder
- Centrify for Centrify Server Suite Enterprise Edition
- Dell for One Identity Manager
- NetIQ for NetIQ Identity Manager 4
- Ping Identity for PingFederateEnterprise
- RSA, the security division of EMC, for RSA Aveksa
Best Managed Security Service
These offerings provide a turnkey approach to an organization's primary technical security needs. These offerings can either be a co-located device at the client organization facility, or can be a completely outsourced solution where the application to be protected would reside at the vendor's data center.
- Dell SecureWorks for Dell SecureWorks Managed Security Services
- MANDIANT for MANDIANT Managed Defense
- OpenDNS for Umbrella by OpenDNS
- Sophos for Sophos Complete MSP Security
- Verizon for Managed Security Services
Best Mobile Security Solution
More and more employees are using smaller and smaller devices with loads of applications to access corporate data. Some examples include iPhones, iPads, Android devices, BlackBerries and more. Products in this category deal with not only a collapsing perimeter, but also consumer-owned and -controlled devices being used to get at corporate resources. At a minimum, these devices likely will require strong endpoint security, point-to-point encryption and more. This is a broad category. If your product is used to secure this type of small device/handheld, it may fit. Security can be for data at rest in the device itself, secure access to data in the enterprise, and encryption for data in motion between the enterprise and the device. It also includes anything from hard disk encryption solutions and tools that track lost mobile devices to USB/thumb drive security solutions.
- AirWatch for AirWatch Enterprise Mobility Managment
- Dell SonicWALL for Dell SonicWALL Mobility Solutions (SRA Series)
- F-Secure for F-Secure Mobile Security
- Mobile Active Defense for Mobile Enterprise Compliance and Security Server
- Sophos for Sophos Mobile Control 3.5 (SMC)
Best Multifactor Solution
Products here provide enhanced security to end-users or devices by offering credentials for access to an authenticator or authentication server. Software and hardware that specializes in the biometric authentication of users is also included here. These solutions may use a tangible device (something you have) for authentication, and knowledge (something you know) for authentication. For biometrics, the solution provides identification and authentication using any of the following methods: finger/thumb print/retinal scan/voice recognition/hand/palm geometry/facial recognition.
- Authentify for Authentify xFA
- CA Technologies for CA Advanced Authentication
- Entrust for Entrust IdentityGuard
- RSA, the security division of EMC, for RSA SecurID
- Secure Access Technologies for SAT Multi-Factor Proximity Token
- VASCO Data Security for MYDIGIPASS.COM
Best NAC Solution
Protecting host-based computing platforms and network resources from threats that are brought in by employees, vendors, contractors and guests involves a numbers of solutions and policies. From anti-virus and firewalls to IDS/IPS solutions, the products in this category run the gamut. However, to control access to network resources at the endpoint, the tools companies often rely on are network access control (NAC) products. These solutions can be used to validate the existence of certain security measures and validate that they are properly configured and up to date. They also can validate the existence of current OS patches and can be used to manage the complexity associated with overseeing permissions and authorizations for various groups of users. Most will integrate with a common directory structure, some will provide local authentication capabilities, while others will match something on the endpoint – such as an agent or MAC address – to the authentication before allowing access to the protected network resources.
- Bradford Networks for Network Sentry
- ForeScout Technologies for ForeScout CounterACT
- Juniper Networks for Unified Access Control
- Trustwave for Trustwave NAC
Best Risk/Policy Management Solution
These products measure, analyze and report risk, as well as, enforce and update configuration policies within the enterprise, including but not limited to network, encryption, software and hardware devices. Contenders' products should offer a reporting format that covers the frameworks of multiple regulatory requirements, such as Sarbanes-Oxley, Gramm-Leach-Bliley and other Acts and industry regulations. As well, this feature should be network-centric, providing reporting to a central administrator and allowing for companies to centrally manage the product.
- McAfee for McAfee Real Time for ePolicy Orchestrator
- Rapid7 for Rapid7 ControlsInsight
- RSA, the security division of EMC, for RSA Archer
- SolarWinds for SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager
Tripwire for Tripwire Enterprise Suite
Best SIEM Solution
Security information and event management (SIEM) tools are used to collect, aggregate and correlate log data for unified analysis and reporting. Typically, these tools can take logs from a large number of sources, normalize them and build a database that allows detailed reporting and analysis. While forensic analysis of network events may be a feature of a SIEM, it is not the only feature, nor is it the primary focus of the tool.
- AlienVault for AlienVault Unified Security Management Platform
- Hewlett-Packard for HP ArcSight ESM
- LogRhythm for LogRhythm's SIEM and Security Analytics Platform
- McAfee for McAfee Enterprise Security Manager
- SolarWinds for SolarWinds Log & Event Manager
Splunk for Splunk Enterprise
Best UTM Security Solution
Given the continuous convergence of the market, we've decided to retire some categories this year and integrate a number of individual categories from previous years into this unified threat management (UTM) category. The former categories – Best Enterprise Firewall, Best Intrusion Detection System/Intrusion Prevention System Product, Best IPsec/SSL VPN and Best Anti-Malware Gateway – are now integrated here. As formerly, contenders in the UTM security category should take an “in-depth” defense approach. Entrants should have an integrated, multifunction endpoint/UTM offering – not a single-function product. These products typically aggregate a wide variety of threat data into a single unified tool. Many organizations define those threat categories as anti-malware, content management, IDS/IPS and spam filtering, along with firewall/VPN. Entrants should meet this minimum functionality, although they may include anti-malware gateway, anti-spam gateway, anti-phishing gateway and more. Products function at the endpoint or the gateway, or are hybrid gateway/endpoint solutions.
- Barracuda Networks for Barracuda Firewall
- Check Point Software Technologies for Check Point 600 Appliances
- Fortinet for FortiGate-240D
- Juniper Networks for SRX Series Services Gateway for the Branch
Sophos for Sophos UTM
Best Vulnerability Management Solution
These products perform network/device vulnerability assessment and/or penetration testing. They may use active or passive testing, and are either hardware- or software-based solutions that report vulnerabilities using some standard format/reference.
- HP for HP Fortify on Demand
- Qualys for QualysGuard Vulnerability Management
- Rapid7 for Rapid7 Nexpose
- Tenable Network Security for Nessus
Tripwire for Tripwire IP360
Best Web Application Firewall
Application firewalls inspect the body of packets and restrict access to legitimate application traffic while blocking access to other parts of the operating system. They typically use deep-packet inspection, provide logging and reporting, block real-time traffic, provide alerting capabilities and auto-update features, perform web caching, provide content filtering, offer web-based access to reporting and/or logging, protect traffic from reaching the underlying operating system, and filter application traffic to only legitimate requests.
- Barracuda Networks for Barracuda Web Application Firewall
- Dell SonicWALL for Dell SonicWALL SRA 7.0 Web Application Firewall
- Fortinet for FortiWeb-400C
- Juniper Networks for WebApp Secure
Trustwave for Trustwave Web Application Firewall
Best Web Content Management Solution
Products in this category provide web content filtering for laptops, desktops and, optionally, servers They may block or filter objectionable websites and content, and enlist blacklist, whitelist or both to update the vendor-provided data on which the solution is based.
- Blue Coat Systems for ProxySG with WebFilter
- Clearswift for SECURE Web Gateway
- Entensys for UserGate Web Filter
- Trustwave for Trustwave Secure Web Gateway
Websense for Websense Web Security Gateway Anywhere
Best Customer Service
Support and service of products and services sold are critical components of any contract. For many organizations that seek out help from information security vendors and service providers, the assistance they get from customer service representatives is crucial to the deployment, ongoing maintenance and successful running of the technologies they've bought and to which they have entrusted their businesses and sensitive data. For this new category, we're looking for vendor and service providers that offer stellar support and service – the staff that fulfilled its contracts and maybe even goes a little beyond them to ensure that organizations and their businesses are safe and sound against the many threats launched by today's savvy cyber criminals.
- Barracuda Networks for Barracuda Customer Service and Support
- DigiCert for DigiCert Customer Service
- IBM for IBM Security
- Qualys for Qualys
- Trustwave for Trustwave
Best Emerging Technology
What cutting-edge technologies are bursting onto the scene to address the newest information security needs facing organizations with some innovative capabilities? This new category welcomes both new vendors and old pros looking to provide products and services that look to help shape the future by addressing fast-evolving threats through the creation of these types of offerings. Solutions should have just hit the market in the last six to 12 months, and entries should have some customers available who can act as references. The company should also have an office in North America and provide ready support and service to customers in this country.
- 21 CT for LYNXeon
- Carbon Black for Carbon Black
- CloudPassage for CloudPassage Halo
- Juniper Networks for WebApp Secure
Sourcefire for Sourcefire Advanced Malware Protection (AMP)
Best Enterprise Security Solution
This includes tools and services from all product sectors specifically designed to meet the requirements of large enterprises. The winning solution will have been a leading solution during the last two years, having helped to strengthen the IT security industry's continued evolution.
- FireEye for FireEye Oculus
- ForeScout Technologies for ForeScout CounterACT
- Radware for Attack Mitigation System
- Splunk for Splunk Enterprise
Tripwire for Tripwire Enterprise Security Suite