Beginning now and throughout the day, SC Magazine will be announcing the finalists from each of its 32 award categories, covering the Reader Trust, Professional and Excellence sections.
The winners of the 2012 SC Awards U.S. will be announced at a black-tie gala on Feb. 28 in San Francisco, coinciding with the annual RSA Conference.
We will end today by revealing the finalists for the much-anticipated Best Security Team and CSO of the Year honors. But first, we have a bunch of other coveted categories to get to.
Good luck to all of the contenders! And here we go...
Best Anti-Malware Gateway
Products in this category generally are appliances. Their purpose is to act as gateways, usually at the perimeter of the enterprise, protecting against various types of malware attempting to enter the enterprise from outside. These typically centrally -managed solutions protect at least against viruses and worms, but may also protect against spam, spyware, phishing emails and other malware.
- Cisco for Cisco Web Security
- McAfee for McAfee Web Protection
- SonicWALL, Inc for SuperMassive E10100
- Symantec Corporation for Symantec Web Gateway 5.0
- Websense, Inc. for Websense TRITON Security Gateway Anywhere
Best Anti-Malware Management (client-based, typically software only)
These products are used to provide a central management point for mitigation of the threat of malware. They manage the anti-malware software/appliances from a central point, facilitating data file updates, reporting, alerting and more, so also will provide appropriate logging and reporting. They are not in themselves anti-malware products. Malware management, for the purposes of this category, is defined as a product that reduces the threat of malware for small, medium or large enterprises on an organization basis by managing instances of an anti-malware product or products residing on endpoints, servers or gateways.
- Bit9, Inc. for Bit9 Parity Suite
- ESET for ESET Smart Security
- GFI Software for GFI VIPRE Antivirus Business
- IBM for IBM Tivoli Endpoint Manager
- Sophos, Inc. for Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection v9.7