The explosive growth in ransomware has once again heated up the debate as to whether infected organizations have an ethical responsibility to refuse payment. But are some companies exacerbating the problem by paying up even when they have viable data backups?
Proofpoint researchers spot new variants of the Ursnif trojan dubbed "Dreambot," some of which now include Tor communication capabilities and or P2P functionality.
Rep. Ted Lieu (D-Calif.) is calling on the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to accelerate its investigation of the SS7 flaw.
A new version of Locky ransomware has been spotted sporting an improved delivery mechanism, better obfuscation which combined make it more difficult for anti-malware scanners to spot.
Cisco updated a security advisory for a remote code execution vulnerability affecting the SNMP application-layer protocol.
Data Breach Blog
A laptop taken home by an employee of the Whitehead Nursing Home was stolen.
Citizen Lab and Lookout researchers detected an active spyware which exploited three iOS zero-day vulnerabilities.
September 2016 Product Reviews
Well, we're well into summer and we've had a short break during our two-month combo edition for July and August so let's get back to it with one of our more active groups: data leak prevention (DLP) and endpoint security.
A communication gap exists today between CISOs and the board of directors, says Feris Rifai, CEO, Bay Dynamics.
Government surveillance is, however, not new, says Patrick O'Kane, barrister and compliance counsel.
Black Hat 2016
SC Magazine Articles
- USAA members hit with multiple phishing attacks
- Industry pros react to Cisco, Fortinet advisories after possible Snowden NSA leak
- Trust exercise: Symantec's new website security expert is reaching out to hacker community
- U.S. government extends offer to protect states from electoral cyberthreats
- Two-thirds of IT security pros surveyed expect a breach to hit their company, report
- Microsoft Office 365 hit with massive Cerber ransomware attack, report
- CEO sacked after aircraft company grounded by whaling attack
- Microsoft warns of new, self-propagating ransomware in the wild
- Wendy's POS breach 'considerably' bigger than first thought