In a Wednesday blog post the FTC explained the process it follows to investigate security breaches and said it looks favorably on companies that cooperate in law enforcement investigations.
The guidance is organized into 10 categories, and serves as "starting point for a more complete code," report authors said.
The USA Freedom Act's fate will soon be decided with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) announcing on Thursday that the Senate will convene for a rare Saturday vote on the bill.
When downloaded and executed, the SVG files cause websites to open up that download what appears to be CryptoWall ransomware.
Information could have been accessed by attackers who gained limited, unauthorized access to a single CareFirst database in June 2014.
SC Awards 2015 Winners
Congratulations to the winners of this year's SC Awards. Winners received acknowledgement and placques at the annual SC Awards gala held in San Francisco on Tuesday. For the winners and finalists of the SC Awards 2015, take a look at our Book of the Night.
Data Breach Blog
Debate: Congress should mandate that the payment card industry adopt safer technology.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Website observed serving 83 executable files, more than 50 percent malware
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- TeslaCrypt used to extort over $76K in recent months
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes
- Researchers publish developer guidance for medical device security
- Senate gears up for Saturday USA Freedom Act vote; House breaks for recess
- Researchers observe SVG files being used to distribute ransomware
- Federal prosecutors charge Chinese nationals with trade secret theft