House lawmakers might have had some of their personal data compromised in the confirmed CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield data breach earlier this week.
A hacker with security firm Sakurity identified a way to generate unlimited funds on Starbucks gift cards, and proved that it worked.
A Nigerian man was sentenced to three years in prison for his role in a phishing scheme targeting U.S. government employees.
An Ohio student is under investigation for hacking into a school district server and sharing the information of at least one other student.
In a Wednesday blog post the FTC explained the process it follows to investigate security breaches and said it looks favorably on companies that cooperate in law enforcement investigations.
SC Awards 2015 Winners
Congratulations to the winners of this year's SC Awards. Winners received acknowledgement and placques at the annual SC Awards gala held in San Francisco on Tuesday. For the winners and finalists of the SC Awards 2015, take a look at our Book of the Night.
Data Breach Blog
Debate: Congress should mandate that the payment card industry adopt safer technology.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Long list of devices believed to be affected by NetUSB vulnerability
- Website observed serving 83 executable files, more than 50 percent malware
- Scammers target oil companies with sneaky attack
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- TeslaCrypt used to extort over $76K in recent months
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- FTC gives thumbs up to companies that cooperate during breach probes
- Researchers publish developer guidance for medical device security
- Senate gears up for Saturday USA Freedom Act vote; House breaks for recess
- Researchers observe SVG files being used to distribute ransomware
- Federal prosecutors charge Chinese nationals with trade secret theft