The group, APT3, is also believed to be behind Operation Clandestine Fox, which used social engineering to lure victims into installing malware.
Symantec is referring to the malware as 'groundbreaking,' particularly due to the advanced techniques it uses to conceal itself.
A newly identified ransomware takes extra precaution to hide from researchers and possibly show good faith on the attackers' part.
Police nabbed five suspects in a series of raids, all for being suspected of using Remote Access Trojans to compromise computers.
FOCUS: Cyber Threats
Security firm Zimperium detected attacks in the wild over the past six to eight months.
Data Breach Blog
The primary challenge to secure payment card data is that too many involved see the PCI DSS as a panacea for every risk in the marketplace.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- 'DoubleDirect' MitM attack affects iOS, Android and OS X users
- Microsoft report explores dangers of running expired security software
- Survey: real-time SIEM solutions help orgs detect attacks within minutes
- Android malware 'NotCompatible' evolves, spawns resilient botnet
- Vulnerabilities identified in three Advantech products
- Operators disable firewall features to increase network performance, survey finds
- Waste no time patching Windows Schannel, OLE bugs, experts warn
- Study: 68 percent of healthcare breaches caused by loss or theft of devices, files
- Spin.com redirects to Rig Exploit Kit, infects users with malware, Symantec observes
- Upping the ante: PCI Security Standard