IOActive, Kaspersky Lab, and the Cloud Security Alliance are among the security organizations supporting the effort.
Attackers gained access to an Internal Revenue Service system called "Get Transcript" in order to obtain information on more than 100,000 taxpayers.
While the U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly supported the USA Freedom Act, the Senate failed to garner enough votes to pass the new legislation.
The ransomware locks up the screen with an FBI warning and initially requires a payment of $500 in order to unlock the device.
WhiteHat Security's "2015 Website Security Statistics Report" looks at vulnerabilities in websites and the amount of time it took to patch them.
SC Awards 2015 Winners
Congratulations to the winners of this year's SC Awards. Winners received acknowledgement and placques at the annual SC Awards gala held in San Francisco on Tuesday. For the winners and finalists of the SC Awards 2015, take a look at our Book of the Night.
Data Breach Blog
Debate: Congress should mandate that the payment card industry adopt safer technology.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- Study: 86 percent of websites contain at least one 'serious' vulnerability
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield breached, more than one million individuals notified
- Report: $19M breach settlement between MasterCard, Target terminated
- Logjam attack exposes data passed over TLS connections
- Google releases Chrome 43, addresses 37 bugs
- Hackers exploit Starbucks auto-reload feature to steal from customers
- Study: Nearly all SAP systems remain unpatched and vulnerable to attacks
- Former Nuclear Regulatory Commission employee arrested for alleged spear phishing campaign
- Millions of WordPress websites vulnerable to XSS bug
- FireEye first cybersecurity firm awarded DHS SAFETY Act certification
- Senate fails to pass USA Freedom Act; McConnell moves for revote of Patriot Act extension
- Android ransomware distributed to English speakers in spam campaign
- Site operator sentenced to 13 months for facilitating prostitution
- ISA presses for data to shape cyber security policy, encourages use of NIST framework
- Former Jacobi Medical Center employee improperly emails patient data