In Q4 2014, Akamai observed an even busier season for attackers than expected.
High-Tech Bridge is referring to the threat as 'RansomWeb' because it involves encrypting databases and holding websites for ransom.
The Dell SecureWorks Counter Threat Unit first noticed the ZeroAccess botnet reactivating from March 21, 2014, to July 2, 2014.
A new Zeus trojan variant is targeting a number of banks in Canada, including Bank of Montreal, Royal Bank of Canada, and National Bank of Canada.
The number of legitimate certificates used to sign malware jumped from 1,500 to more than 6,000 in only six years.
After 20 million of its dating site users' email addresses were put up for sale online, Topface tracked down the hacker behind the amassed database and paid him "an award for finding a vulnerability.
The online community website said it received 55 requests for user information in 2014 and provided some information in 58 percent of cases.
The number of infections for a malvertising campaign originating on an adult website rose by 1500 percent in a two-day period.
DATA BREACH BLOG
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee violated HIPAA when it mistakenly included the personal information of not-for-profit TRH Health Plan members in a marketing campaign.
A former employee and contracted chiropractor accessed and removed their personal information from the clinic, and promptly resigned after.
French Lick Resort announced on Tuesday that malware had infected its payment card system, and guests may have had their personal information compromised.
Sign up to our newsletters
SC Magazine Articles
- 'Sexy Girls' wallpaper app in Google Play store accessed account info
- Zeus variant targeting Canadian banks, U.S. banks may also be a target
- New attack uses ransomware to drop trojans and keyloggers
- 'GHOST' bug in Linux library enables remote takeover of victim's system
- Firm finds link between Regin spy tool and QWERTY keylogger
- Report: From Q3 to Q4, 90 percent increase in global DDoS attacks observed
- Researchers observe databases being encrypted, websites held for ransom
- ZeroAccess botnet reactivates, click fraud activity resumes
- BCBS of Tennessee shares personal data on 80K in marketing campaign
- Tips for organizations in the wake of the biggest corporate hack in history