Petkov told SCMagazineUS.com today that Google said no end-users were targeted via the flaw.
“According to them, no users were affected, mainly because no additional details on the issue were released before the fix,” he said.
Petkov released proof-of-concept code for the flaw on Sunday. Last week, he warned other researchers not to disclose details of the issue until Google fixes it, saying the vulnerability is “extremely nasty if you ask me.”
Petkov last week noted that, in the event of an attack, messages would continue to be forwarded to an attacker despite a fix because the filter, created by an exploit, is still present.
A representative from the Mountain View, Calif.-based search giant could not be immediately reached for comment today.