BSW #262 – Mike Ernst
This week, we start off with an interview featuring Mike Ernst, VP of Sales Engineering, Worldwide at ExtraHop! Then, in the Leadership & Communications section: 6 information governance best practices, The Seven Deadly Sins Of Leadership, Secrets to building a healthy CISO-vendor partnership, & more!
This segment is sponsored by ExtraHop Networks.
Visit https://securityweekly.com/extrahop to learn more about them!
Visit https://www.securityweekly.com/bsw for all the latest episodes!
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/securityweekly
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/secweekly
1. Cyber: The Fifth Domain of War – Mike Ernst – BSW #262
Land, sea, air, space, and–increasingly–cyber. These are the five domains where war is conducted. In March 2022, CISA and other international cyber agencies issued guidance urging private and public organizations alike to harden their security postures in preparation for cyber fallout. However, to date, the cyber fallout from the conflict has been minor, leaving some questioning the seriousness of the threat. ExtraHop VP of Sales Engineering, Mike Ernst, joins Business Security Weekly for a candid discussion about expected impact on private enterprises, and how business leaders and CISO can use this moment to scrutinize their security posture. This segment is sponsored by ExtraHop Networks. Visit https://securityweekly.com/extrahop to learn more about them!
Don't miss any of your favorite Security Weekly content! Visit https://securityweekly.com/subscribe to subscribe to any of our podcast feeds and have all new episodes downloaded right to your phone! You can also join our mailing list, Discord server, and follow us on social media & our streaming platforms!
Do you have a specific guest or topic that you want us to cover on one of the shows? Submit your suggestions for guests by visiting https://securityweekly.com/guests and completing the form! We review suggestions monthly and will reach out to you once reviewed!
Mike Ernst is a cybersecurity veteran who leads a global team of highly-skilled sales engineers that work directly with customers and prospects helping them improve their security defenses with innovative technology. Mike is often engaged with customers working to solve the complex and mission-critical business problems that Fortune 1,000 and global 2,000 companies face. Mike spent more than a decade as an expert in network-based analytics and problem solving and is now applying that foundation to next-generation security investigation and response. Prior to ExtraHop, Mike was a Sales Engineering Director at Riverbed and OPNET before that.
2. 5 Demands, 6 Best Practices, & 7 Deadly Sins – BSW #262
In the Leadership & Communications section: 6 information governance best practices, The Seven Deadly Sins Of Leadership, Secrets to building a healthy CISO-vendor partnership, & more!
Security Weekly listeners, save $100 on your RSA Conference 2022 Full Conference Pass! RSA Conference will be live in San Francisco June 6th-9th, 2022. Security Weekly will be there in full force, delivering real-time, live coverage and interviewing some of the event’s top speakers and sponsors. To register using our discount code, please visit https://securityweekly.com/rsac2022 and use the code 52UCYBER. We hope to see you there!
Don't forget to check out our library of on-demand webcasts & technical trainings at securityweekly.com/ondemand.
- 1. Top Five CISO Demands and ChallengesTop Five CISO Demands and Challenges: 1. The COVID pandemic has been both a crisis and an opportunity 2. Enterprise users have and will continue to pose a complex security challenge 3. The threat landscape is not only more brutal but innovating faster than enterprises can counter 4. Security vendors are a double-edged sword: New products are distractions, yet relationships are key 5. Zero-trust is a strategy, not a product: The folly of mixing up strategy and tactics
- 2. 6 information governance best practicesAn information governance plan ensures that an organization's content lifecycle meets compliance and business needs. Best practices can help organizations craft an effective plan. 1. Form a committee of key stakeholders 2. Define the business and compliance requirements 3. Update policies for remote work 4. Outline key governance plans in policies and standard operating procedures 5. Define reports and alerts to monitor compliance 6. Continuously monitor and review the plan
- 3. The Seven Deadly Sins Of LeadershipThis post is the first in a series of seven, each focusing on a particular deadly sin of leadership. Each sin will be posted separately...
- 4. Leadership Sin 1: Not Owning FailuresLeadership Sin 1: Not Owning Failures - Be confident enough to lead by example and share your own failures with the team. This is not a sign of weakness — it is a sign of great strength. - Share inspirational examples of people who embraced failure and ultimately achieved breakout success. - Develop a culture of safety across your teams — show by your words and actions that when failures happen you will support the team to resolve the problem and you will never blame them. - Use retrospectives to objectively examine mistakes and learn from them. Then take action based on those learnings.
- 5. 3 Key Principles to Become a Successful Remote LeaderHow can leaders today adapt to thrive in the inevitable remote world? Here a few unique insights. 1. It's not the same work hours 2. Screen, screen, screen 3. Go slow to go far
- 6. Secrets to building a healthy CISO-vendor partnershipProductive CISO-vendor partnerships are to key to overall security success. Here's how to establish and maintain effective relationships with security vendors. - Communication vital to strong CISO-vendor relationships - Risk management, change preparedness, team engagement also key - CISOs’ biggest vendor turn-offs