ESW #272 – Prashasth Baliga & Ryan Fried
This week, in our first segment, we welcome Prashasth Baliga, Senior Security Consultant at Palo Alto Networks to talk about Security Orchestration and Automation Simplified! Then, Ryan Fried, Senior Security Engineer at Brooks Running, joins for an interview about Getting Value from SOAR beyond Phishing Workflows! Finally, in the Enterprise Security News, Veza raises $110M for Data Security, Traceable raises $60M for API Security, 10 other security startups get funded, Synopsis buys Whitehat for $330M, HackerOne approves a PullRequest, Bright Security acquires WeHackPurple, LexusNexis acquires BehaviorSec, JupiterOne continues to release some compelling books, the DevSecOps evolution, the future of Product-Led Growth, & more!
Visit https://www.securityweekly.com/esw for all the latest episodes!
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/securityweekly
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/secweekly
Due to the high influx of security incidents and limited resources available, conducting incident response is an enormous task for all organizations, large or small. This necessitates the use of security automation, in which we would require a single centralized platform that connects to all other security technologies in order to effectively address incidents in a short period of time. SOAR (Security Orchestration, Automation, and Response) functions similarly to an orchestrator, but instead of controlling and conducting multiple individuals playing various instruments, SOAR manipulates a variety of tools to produce a more streamlined and fluent incident response process.
Do you have a specific guest or topic that you want us to cover on one of the shows? Submit your suggestions for guests by visiting https://securityweekly.com/guests and completing the form! We review suggestions monthly and will reach out to you once reviewed!
As a senior security consultant, my area of work is mostly focussed in the area of security automation. Programming and security is something I am extremely passionate about and as a result, I started automating various VAPT tools to provide a seemless testing process for the security testers.
I gradually moved towards automating SOC wherein I have worked extensively in SIEM and SOAR technologies. After several years of handson experience, I have now started focussing on providing consultation as a customer success engineer wherein I work as an SME for the SOAR products.
This topic will go over getting value from SOAR beyond just an initial phishing workflow. It will focus on orchestration and response, give ideas for other types of workflows and change the conversation from using SOAR to replace analysts to increasing SOC retention!
Ryan holds a masters degree in cyber security, has worked in the cybersecurity field for 9 years, and works as an adjunct professor teaching cyber security at a college for 7 years. Currently Ryan works for Brooks Running as a senior security analyst, specializing in security automation, network segmentation and purple teaming.
In the Enterprise Security News, Veza raises $110M for Data Security, Traceable raises $60M for API Security, 10 other security startups get funded, Synopsis buys Whitehat for $330M, HackerOne approves a PullRequest, Bright Security acquires WeHackPurple, LexusNexis acquires BehaviorSec, JupiterOne continues to release some compelling books, the DevSecOps evolution, the future of Product-Led Growth, & more!
Don't miss any of your favorite Security Weekly content! Visit https://securityweekly.com/subscribe to subscribe to any of our podcast feeds and have all new episodes downloaded right to your phone! You can also join our mailing list, Discord server, and follow us on social media & our streaming platforms!
Join us June 29th for a webcast with Tyler Robinson and Beau Bullock to learn how to pivot into the world of Crypto security. Visit https://securityweekly.com/webcasts to register with only your name and email! Don't forget to check out our library of on-demand webcasts & technical trainings at securityweekly.com/ondemand.
- 1. FUNDING: Veza, the Data Security Company Built On The Power of Authorization, Emerges from Stealth and Announces $110 Million in Funding
- 2. FUNDING: Traceable Enters Next Phase of Growth to Deliver Hyperscale API Security - $60M Series B, $450M valuation, led by Institutional Venture Partners. Product focuses on "API security & observability".
- 3. FUNDING: Strider Technologies Raises $45 Million Led by Valor Equity Partners
- 4. FUNDING: Source Defense Raises $27M, Aims To Beef Up Channel Relationships
- 5. FUNDING: Smallstep Secures $26M in Funding to Further Practical Zero Trust by Automating Certificate Management
- 6. FUNDING: Enveil Secures $25 Million in Series B Funding
- 7. FUNDING: Intigriti secures more than €21M in Series B funding – Intigriti
- 8. FUNDING: Fleet nabs $20M to help enterprises manage their devices – TechCrunch
- 9. FUNDING: World’s First DDoS Risk Assessment Product – Israeli Cybersecurity Company MazeBolt Announces $10 Million in Funding
- 10. FUNDING: Hubble Technology Banks $9 Million for Asset Visibility Platform
- 11. FUNDING: Doppler expands secrets management to the enterprise with $6.5M in funding
- 12. FUNDING: Rita Personal Data Raises €1 Million in pre-Seed Round
- 13. ACQUISITIONS: Synopsys Buying WhiteHat Security from NTT for $330 Million - WhiteHat Security Was acquired in 2019 by NTT Security, but apparently wasn't material enough for the deal price to get reported. We were able to find estimates of revenue ranging from $60-65M, which puts the multiple here between 5x and 5.5x. The deal makes sense for Synopsys and rounds out the company's appsec offerings.
- 14. ACQUISITIONS: HackerOne Acquires PullRequest to Power Developer-First Security Testing Solutions
- 15. ACQUISITIONS: We Hack Purple, Acquired by Bright Security!
- 16. ACQUISITIONS: Sabanci Acquires OT Security Vendor Radiflow – Radiflow
- 17. ACQUISITIONS: LexisNexis Risk Solutions Acquires Behavioral Biometric Innovator BehavioSec
- 18. NEW PRODUCTS: Uptycs Strengthens Cloud Security Offering with Cloud Identity and Entitlement Management (CIEM), Announces Multi-Cloud Support
- 19. EVENTS: Innovation Sandbox - Probably my favorite RSAC moment every year, Innovation Sandbox is a shark tank-style contest where ten security startup finalists pitch to a panel of judges with a harshly-enforced 3 minute time limit. This year, it will be happening at Noon on Monday (June 6th). Previous winners include Apiiro, Axonius, BigID, and Phantom. The finalists include: Araali Networks (Container Security) BastionZero (Remote Access) Cado (Cloud Incident Response Platform) Cycode (AppSec and Data Leakage Detection) Dasera (Data Security) Lightspin (CNAPP Security) Neosec (API Security) Sevco (SOARv2) Talon (Enterprise Browser) Torq (SOARv2)
- 20. NEW BOOKS: JupiterOne Releases ‘Reinventing Cybersecurity’ Book, A Collection of Stories from Female and Non-Binary Security Practitioners Challenging The Status Quo
- 21. GOOD READS: The VC View: The DevSecOps Evolution and Getting “Shift Left” Right
- 22. GOOD READS: The Future of Product-Led Growth Might Be Hiding Where You Least Expect It – OpenView
- 23. REGULATIONS: New US Breach Reporting Rules for Banks Take Effect May 1