Qualified Opinions – BSW #190
This week, we welcome Parham Eftekhari, SVP & Executive Director of Cybersecurity Collaborative, to discuss The Power of True Peer-to-Peer Collaboration! In the Leadership and Communications section, What it takes to be a transformational CISO, Put Your Metrics Where Your Mouth Is, 5 Simple Ways to Make Better Decisions, and more!
Visit https://www.securityweekly.com/bsw for all the latest episodes!
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/securityweekly
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/secweekly
1. Transformational CISO, Metrics, & 5 Simple Ways to Make Better Decisions – BSW #190
In the Leadership and Communications section, What it takes to be a transformational CISO, Put Your Metrics Where Your Mouth Is, 5 Simple Ways to Make Better Decisions, and more!
Do you have a specific guest or topic that you want us to cover on one of the shows? Submit your suggestions for guests by visiting https://securityweekly.com/guests and completing the form! We review suggestions monthly and will reach out to you once reviewed!
It's official! Security Weekly, in partnership with CyberRisk Alliance, is excited to present Security Weekly Unlocked on December 10, 2020. The inaugural edition of Security Weekly Unlocked also celebrates Security Weekly's 15th Anniversary. Visit securityweekly.com/unlocked to submit your presentation & register for free!
- 1. Information Security Forum Research Demonstrates Importance of the Next Generation CISOThere are many other factors in the make-up of the next-generation CISO, however, they stand out as key differentiators of forward-looking professionals. The six differentiating characteristics include: • Balancing Opportunity with Risk • Demonstrating Leadership • Managing Incidents and Crises • Finding Their Own Voice • Dealing with Regulatory Volume • Handling Technology
- 2. What it takes to be a transformational CISOWhat exactly, though, does a transformational CISO possess that sets him or her apart? That allows him or her to “love” the hard work of overhauling and rebuilding? There are a number of traits and characteristics that define such a leader: 1. A transformational CISO is energized by change and disruption, and they’re energetic in general. 2. They’re comfortable operating in chaos. 3. They’re dynamic and adaptable. 4. They’re outspoken and persuasive, they tend to be more extraverted, and they’re able to build consensus. 5. They have to be able to do a bit of sales, and they have to be able to fit security into the rest of the company’s journey.
- 3. Put Your Metrics Where Your Mouth IsYou’ve no doubt heard the saying “what gets measured gets managed.” And it’s true. Why? Because what gets measured, gets noticed. CEOs and other executives respond to what boards and shareholders notice.
- 4. 5 Simple Ways to Make Better DecisionsHere are five strategies that will help you to make better, faster decisions: 1. Fewer options = better decisions. 2. Earlier is better. 3. Fewer people make better decisions than big groups. 4. Sleep on it. 5. Toss the coin.
- 5. CIOs say security must adapt to permanent work-from-homeBoth private- and public-sector CIOs see many more employees permanently working remotely, and say security needs to adapt to new threats and how they communicate.
- 6. To Succeed in a Negotiation, Help Your Counterpart Save FaceTo understand the critical nature of face to negotiation success, consider these three cases: 1. Afghanistan – Freeing Hostages 2. Calgary – A Crisis Negotiation 3. Brazil and France – A Business Tug-of-War
- 7. Department of Treasury releases advisory on potential sanctions risks for facilitating ransomware paymentsThe U.S. Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) is issuing an advisory to alert companies that engage with victims of ransomware attacks of the potential sanctions risks for facilitating ransomware payments. This advisory highlights OFAC’s designations of malicious cyber actors and those who facilitate ransomware transactions under its cyber-related sanctions program. URL to the advisory: https://home.treasury.gov/system/files/126/ofac_ransomware_advisory_10012020_1.pdf
2. The Power of True Peer-to-Peer Collaboration – Parham Eftekhari – BSW #190
Parham Eftekhari provides an overview of the Cybersecurity Collaborative and why the nation's top CISOs are rediscovering the power of true peer-to-peer collaboration.
Don't miss any of your favorite Security Weekly content! Visit https://securityweekly.com/subscribe to subscribe to any of our podcast feeds and have all new episodes downloaded right to your phone! You can also join our mailing list, Discord server, and follow us on social media & our streaming platforms!
Don't forget to check out our library of on-demand webcasts & technical trainings at securityweekly.com/ondemand.