The Reality – BSW #193
This week, we welcome Matt Ashburn, Federal Engagement Lead at Authentic8, to talk about Scale Your SOC: Protecting Against Browser-Based Threats! In the Leadership and Communications section, Cybersecurity, a risk to all board of directors, Is The Cybersecurity Industry Selling Lemons? Apparently Lots Of Important CISOs Think it Is, 4 critical strategies for tech leaders in Gartner's CIO agenda, and more!
Visit https://securityweekly.com/authentic8 to learn more about them!
Visit https://www.securityweekly.com/bsw for all the latest episodes!
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/securityweekly
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/secweekly
1. Scale Your SOC: Protecting Against Browser-Based Threats – Matt Ashburn – BSW #193
Silo is a cloud-based web isolation platform that separates the things you care about from the things you cannot trust. In this segment, former CIA cyber security officer Matt Ashburn will demonstrate how Silo protects organizations from malicious web-based content, from ransomware to advanced persistent threats. We’ll also see how Silo enables incident response and SOC analysts through security, managed attribution and unified insight into user behavior.
This segment is sponsored by Authentic8.
Visit https://securityweekly.com/authentic8 to learn more about them!
Tomorrow is the big day! The virtual doors open for the first-ever Security Weekly Unlocked virtual event at 10:30am and the last round table should end around 9:30pm! We have an outstanding line-up of presenters, who will be answering questions LIVE in our Discord server during their presentations! Make sure you register for this FREE event before it's too late! Visit https://securityweekly.com/unlocked to view the line-up and register!
Don't forget to check out our library of on-demand webcasts & technical trainings at securityweekly.com/ondemand.
Former CIA Cyber Security Officer, and National Security CISO at the White House – National Security Engagement Lead, Authentic8 Engagement Lead, focusing on engagement with national security customers. Prior to Authentic8, Matt served as a CIA officer focusing on cyber issues, including a detail serving on the National Security Council as the Chief Information Security Officer and Special Advisor to the National Security Advisor, leading technical expertise, risk reduction strategies, and policy for national security systems.
2. Board Risks, Selling Lemons, & 4 Critical Strategies – BSW #193
In the leadership and communications section, Cybersecurity, a risk to all board of directors , Is The Cybersecurity Industry Selling Lemons? Apparently Lots Of Important CISOs Think it Is, 4 critical strategies for tech leaders in Gartner's CIO agenda, and more!
Join Amit Bareket, Co-founder & CEO of Perimeter 81 & Paul Asadoorian for a technical deep-dive into the problems inherent in legacy VPN technology. Together they will explore solutions for the modern workforce & how momentum toward perimeter-less architecture is helping redefine the future of cybersecurity. Register Now by visiting https://securityweekly.com/perimeter81
Don't miss any of your favorite Security Weekly content! Visit https://securityweekly.com/subscribe to subscribe to any of our podcast feeds and have all new episodes downloaded right to your phone! You can also join our mailing list, Discord server, and follow us on social media & our streaming platforms!
- 1. Cybersecurity Collaborative Offers Funding to Subsidize MembershipCybersecurity Collaborative and its parent company, CyberRisk Alliance, announced a $1 million fund to help organizations whose cybersecurity resources have been affected by the pandemic join the alliance. The fund includes a limited number of complimentary memberships for academic and public sector organizations and makes grants available to commercial sector organizations to subsidize 50% of first year membership dues in the Cybersecurity Collaborative. The pandemic has brought new information security threats to organizations of all sizes, at the same time as economic conditions have constrained budgets in technology and cybersecurity areas. The Cyber Resiliency Fund is intended to help companies access immediate cybersecurity resources and tools that address top priorities such as ransomware, phishing and securing work-from-home environments.
- 2. Gartner’s strategic tech trends for 2021 turn pragmaticHere are the top strategic trends for 2021: 1. Internet of behaviors (IoB) 2. Total experience (TX) 3. Privacy-enhancing computation 4. Distributed cloud 5. Anywhere operations 6. Cybersecurity mesh 7. Intelligent composable business 8. AI engineering 9. Hyperautomation
- 3. 4 critical strategies for tech leaders in Gartner’s CIO agendaHere are four strategies laid out by Gartner's CIO Agenda for 2021: 1. Win differently 2. Unleash force multipliers 3. Banish drag 4. Redirect resources
- 4. Cybersecurity, a risk to all board of directorsThere are arguably two prominent problems with cybersecurity governance – the misrepresentation of cybersecurity risk at c-suite and board of director levels and the underrepresentation of women in the industrty. One such misconception is that information technology (“IT”) is synonymous with cybersecurity. Their priorities, skills needed, and responsibilities are different, and many times compete. IT is concerned with the functionality of hardware, software, and the network. Conversely, cybersecurity addresses the security of digital information. IT establishes controls versus monitoring of the controls to ensure they work as intended by cybersecurity. IT training is centered around new hardware, software, and solutions compared to cybersecurity training encompassing staying up to date on new threats, developments, and risks that are constantly emerging.
- 5. Is The Cybersecurity Industry Selling Lemons? Apparently Lots Of Important CISOs Think it IsBased on over 100 comprehensive interviews with business and cybersecurity leaders from large enterprises, together with vendors, assessment organizations, government agencies, industry associations and regulators, Debate Security’s research shines a light on why technology vendors are not incentivized to deliver products that are more effective at reducing cyber risk. Read the report: https://www.debatesecurity.com/cybersecurity-technology-efficacy-is-cybersecurity-the-new-market-for-lemons/
- 6. CISOs: Here are the Cybersecurity Concerns Boards Really Care AboutHere are a few ways CISOs can directly address the top board-level security concerns to ensure the program gets the budget it needs to mature. 1. Start simple: where are the greatest risks and how are you reducing them? 2. Clearly communicate the level of protection 3. Analyze ROI on current security tool investments 4. Use these metrics to back up future investments 5. Map everything back to the bigger picture