Deepwatch Series C, SPAC Fads, LastPass, & Tyler Trades Adrian’s Info for Chocolate – ESW #307
This week in the Enterprise News: Deepwatch Announces $180 Million in Investments, VulnCheck Raises $3.2 Million to Solve Prioritization Challenge for Enterprise, Government and Cybersecurity Solution Providers, Zscaler to Acquire Israeli Startup Canonic Security, Palo Alto Q2 Fiscal Year 2023 Earnings Call, Tech’s hottest new job: AI whisperer. No coding required, How data breaches affect stock market share prices, & Kenyan Innovator Creates Smart Gloves That Translate Sign Language Into Audible Speech!
Do you have a specific guest or topic that you want us to cover on one of the shows? Submit your suggestions for guests by visiting https://securityweekly.com/guests and completing the form! We review suggestions monthly and will reach out to you once reviewed!
- 1. FUNDING: Alphabet spinoff Sandbox AQ raises $500 mln for cyber security, other quantum work
- 2. FUNDING: Cloud Security Firm Wiz Raises $300 Million at $10 Billion Valuation
- 3. FUNDING: Deepwatch Announces $180 Million in Investments
A $180M series C brings MDR services vendor Deepwatch to a total of $256M raised since it was founded in 2019. 100% YoY growth for 2022 is claimed. The round was comprised of "equity investments and strategic financing from Springcoast Capital Partners, Splunk Ventures, and Vista Credit Partners.
- 4. FUNDING: Descope Launches Developer-First Authentication and User Management Platform
$53M in Seed funding, led by Lightspeed and GGV Capital. Building a passwordless authentication and user management platform for both B2C and B2B use cases. Has a very generous free tier!
- 5. FUNDING: PayPal co-leads $20M seed funding for on-chain risk optimizer Chaos Labs
- 6. FUNDING: Metomic Raises $20 Million to Protect Sensitive Data in SaaS Applications
- 7. FUNDING: Entitle Launches With $15M in Seed Funding to Bake Security Into Permissions Management
- 8. FUNDING: Riot prepares your team against highly sophisticated cyberattacks
$12M Series A led by Base10. French-based cybersecurity awareness platform.
- 9. FUNDING: CyberSmart Raises £12.8M in Series B Funding
- 10. FUNDING: Sendmarc secures $7 million in Series A funding for email and domain security protection
- 11. FUNDING: Procyon raises $6.5M to provide multicloud access management for DevOps teams – SiliconANGLE
- 12. FUNDING: VulnCheck Raises $3.2 Million to Solve Prioritization Challenge for Enterprise, Government and Cybersecurity Solution Providers
- 13. FUNDING: CommandK Raises $3M in Seed Funding
- 14. ACQUISITIONS: Zscaler to Acquire Israeli Startup Canonic Security
Less than a year after introducing AppTotal, the SaaS Security startup Canonic is picked up by Zscaler. AppTotal is a handy research tool. Drop the ID of a chrome browser extension into its search engine, and it will tell you if the extension is requesting more permissions than it really needs!
Boris Goren was formerly the CTO of FireLayers, a CASB that ended up as part of Proofpoint. The other founder, Niv, professes his love for the DVORAK keyboard layout in his bio.
- 15. ACQUISITIONS: Cisco to acquire startup Valtix to beef up its multi-cloud network security
- 16. ACQUISITIONS: Trend Micro Acquires SOC Technology Expert Anlyz
- 17. ACQUISITION RUMORS: Noname Security in negotiations to be acquired for hundreds of millions of dollars
- 18. BANKRUPTCIES: Cyren Announces Liquidation
- 19. BANKRUPTCIES: Cyren Announces Nasdaq Delisting Determination
- 20. TRENDS: The SPAC Fad Is Ending in a Pile of Bankruptcies and Fire Sales
This is my shocked face -_-
- 21. TRENDS: ZFOX performance not looking great
Speaking of SPACs, Ironnet got an 11th hour lifeline, but now ZFOX, which also went public via SPAC, is teetering on the brink of being delisted.
- 22. NEW COMPANIES: Introducing Sublime: A new, open approach to email security
- 23. NEW COMPANIES: The IAM Copilot for Machine Identities – Save valuable engineering time
- 24. NEW FEATURES: Canarytokens.org welcomes Azure Login Certificate Token
- 25. LAYOFFS: I’m a Stanford professor who’s studied organizational behavior for decades. The widespread layoffs in tech are more because of copycat behavior than necessary cost-cutting.
- 26. LAYOFFS: Even hackers are reportedly getting laid off by organized crime groups
- 27. REBRANDING: ShiftLeft is Now Qwiet AI! – Preventing the Unpreventable
- 28. PARTNERSHIPS: Let it snow! Wiz and Snowflake join forces to power insights with actionable intelligence
- 29. SURVEY SAYS: What we say vs what we do about privacy (via Ethan Mollick)
What we say vs. what we do about privacy: ????27% of people said they would hand over their unlocked phone to an experimenter to look at privately, 98% of people did ????People give away their data for small payments as long as they can actively avoid learning what is done with it
- 30. TRENDS: BEC attacks surged 81% in 2022, 98% employees failed to report threat
- 31. TRENDS: Palo Alto Q2 Fiscal Year 2023 Earnings Call
This item is here for one reason: perspective. We don't talk a lot about SASE, or 'legacy' technologies on this podcast, but it's important to keep things in perspective. Here are some interesting facts about Palo Alto Networks that will help with that perspective: 1. $56.6B market cap (more than the entire industry was worth a decade ago) 2. $2B in billings... last QUARTER ($1.655B revenue) 3. $1B in R&D spending (12 mo trailing) 4. $40M SASE deal done last quarter - that's a single deal
- 32. TRENDS: Tech’s hottest new job: AI whisperer. No coding required.
- 33. TRENDS: 2022 Biggest Year Ever For Crypto Hacking – Chainalysis
Also North Korea's biggest GDP in many years! Coincidence?
- 34. TRENDS: Auto dealers are prime targets for hackers, warn researchers
Low hanging fruit.
- 35. TRENDS: The norms of cyber insurance are unsustainable in today’s landscape
- 36. TRENDS: IPO Statistics and Charts
- 37. ESSAYS: Debating SIEM in 2023, Part 1
Anton is at it again...
- 38. ESSAYS: Benchmarking your cybersecurity budget in 2023
- 39. ESSAYS: We Need More FUD
- 40. ESSAYS: So you want to be a SOC Analyst? Intro
- 41. REPORTS: Enhancing Vulnerability Prioritization: Data-Driven Exploit Predictions with Community-Driven Insights
- 42. REPORTS: How data breaches affect stock market share prices – Comparitech
Great analysis here, solid methodology, but spoiler: "they don't"
- 43. REPORTS: Dragos Year In Review for ICS/OT Cybersecurity
- 44. BREACHES: LastPass says employee’s home computer was hacked and corporate vault taken
- 45. LEGISLATION: Cybersecurity Label for U.S. Coming as Early as April – EE Times
- 46. SQUIRREL: Romance scammers’ favorite lies exposed
Another reminder that ransomware isn't the only crooked game in town.
- 47. SQUIRREL: Kenyan Innovator Creates Smart Gloves That Translate Sign Language Into Audible Speech
- 48. SQUIRREL: Cancer diagnosis using urine!
Always excited to see easier methods for early cancer detection. First, we saw cancer detection via blood test, now urine! It's a good trend to see.