Enterprise News Part 2, Everything Else – ESW #303
This is the 2nd segment in our 2 segment Enterprise News special!
- 1. NEW FEATURES: Orca Security to offer first ChatGPT extension for cloud security purposes
- 2. NEW FEATURES: Amazon S3 Encrypts New Objects By Default
- 3. NEW FEATURES: Swipe right on our new credit card tokens!
Credit card honey tokens! And they're free!
- 4. NEW COMPANIES: I Left Graylog to Work on nzyme Full Time – Lennart Koopmann
- 5. TRENDS: Security pros say third parties are increasingly the cause of cybersecurity incidents
Makes sense - hack once, pwn many.
- 6. TRENDS: Ransomware revenue drops 40.3% in 2022 as victims show less interest in paying up
Ransomware proceeds never quite hit the big $1B mark before going back down, but sure, Cybersecurity Ventures still thinks we're going to hit $10T+ in damages by 2025.
- 7. TRENDS: Lares Research Highlights Top 5 Penetration Test Findings from 2022
- Brute forcing accounts with weak and guessable passwords
- Excessive file system permissions
- WannaCry/EternalBlue (really???)
- WMI Lateral Movement
- 8. TRENDS: I will never click another sponsored link on Google again
And for a direct, VERY PERSONAL example of this occurring, check out this thread: https://twitter.com/NFTGOD/status/1614442000958324739?t=4BcSeJ9nHAx4PTFJhKxfQ&s=09
- 9. ESSAYS: Security FOMO by Helen Patton
No matter how much security leaders try to keep on top of things, they always feel like they're behind...
- 10. ESSAYS: Who should make cyber risk management decisions?
Hint: it's not information security professionals.
- 11. REPORTS: 2023 World Economic Forum Global Security Outlook
- 12. POST MORTEMS: CircleCI incident report for January 4, 2023 security incident
But still, I wonder - what was the engineer doing that got him compromised with macOS malware? Did he fall for a malicious Google ad?
- 13. SQUIRREL: Abstracts written by ChatGPT fool scientists
Sure, this is a squirrel story, but bears serious thought. If professionals and experts can't tell ChatGPT from a human, what kinds of problems is this going to cause?