Mountains of backups, Softbank takes an L, and the need for breach transparency – ESW #318
This week, we discuss fundings, acquisitions (TWO DSPM exits!), the ongoing market downturn/weirdness, and surprise - LLM-based AIs! We spend a fair amount of time talking about the importance of breach transparency - we need to be able to learn from others' failures to improve our own defenses. We also discuss the inevitable 'One App To Rule them All' that will serve as an all-knowing personal assistant. It will integrate with all our comms, calendars, and notes, which will be scary and fraught with privacy and security issues. But Tyler and Adrian still yearn for it, as their pre-frontal cortexes become increasingly dulled by scotch and beer.
Our teams from Security Weekly and SC Media were onsite at RSA Conference 2023 delivering in-depth reporting, analysis and interviews from the conference. If you were unable to join us in person, or didn't manage to catch our video livestream from Broadcast Alley, you can access all of our RSAC 2023 coverage at https://securityweekly.com/rsac.
- 1. FUNDING: Iron Mountain launches $1B debt offering (NYSE:IRM)
- 2. FUNDING: Huntress Secures $60 Million Series C Funding to Expand Suite of Solutions that Protect SMBs from Cyber Attacks
- 3. FUNDING: 1touch.io Raises $14M in Series B Funding
- 4. FUNDING: Cybeats Announces Closing of Private Placement For Gross Proceeds of Over $6.2 Million
- 5. FUNDING: Keeper Security Announces Minority Growth Equity Investment from Summit Partners
- 6. ACQUISITIONS: Absolute Software to be Acquired by Crosspoint Capital Partners for Enterprise Value of US$870 Million
- 7. ACQUISITIONS: IBM to Help Automate Cloud Data Protection with Acquisition of Polar Security
- 8. ACQUISITION RUMORS: Cloud security startup Laminar set to be acquired for $200-250 million
- 9. ACQUISITION RUMORS: Why Datadog and Rubrik Are In Talks to Buy Laminar for $200M
- 10. TRENDS: Lawmakers want to train rural hospital workforce to address cybersecurity needs
- 11. TRENDS: America’s Most Connected Cities
- 12. TRENDS: Amazon Clinic requires patients to waive HIPAA protections in exchange for care
- 13. TRENDS: Why more transparency around cyber attacks is a good thing for everyone
- 14. TRENDS: The rise of security engineering and how it is changing the cybersecurity of tomorrow
- 15. TRENDS: Japanese tech giant loses record $39B on Vision Funds
- 16. AI TRENDS: Botsonic – build your own ChatGPT
- 17. POST MORTEM: Deconstructing a Cybersecurity Event
- 18. STANDARDS: The Security Auditing Manifesto: Shared Values for Effective Security and Compliance Management
- 19. ESSAYS: Is AI the Next Zero Trust?
- 20. SQUIRREL: Scientists say they have found more moons with oceans in the Solar System
- 21. SQUIRREL: Beeper X SQMFI = Beepberry!
- 22. SQUIRREL: Gandalf