Survival of the Quickest, Ransomware Victim Paid, Zendesk, & Cyber Insurance Unicorn – ESW #280
In the Enterprise Security News, Cyber insurance joins the Unicorn club, Bishop Fox raises a $75M Series B, A dozen more funding rounds, XM Cyber acquires Cyber Observer, Zendesk gets bought by private equity, 5 more rounds of cybersecurity layoffs, Some very interesting new products - both open source and commercial, Survival of the Quickest, And a ransom victim earning money from its payment??
Don't miss any of your favorite Security Weekly content! Visit https://securityweekly.com/subscribe to subscribe to any of our podcast feeds and have all new episodes downloaded right to your phone! You can also join our mailing list, Discord server, and follow us on social media & our streaming platforms!
Don't forget to check out our library of on-demand webcasts & technical trainings at securityweekly.com/ondemand.
- 1. FUNDING: Cyber insurance firm Coalition valued at $5 billion after fund raisehttps://www.reuters.com/technology/cyber-insurance-firm-coalition-valued-5-bln-after-fund-raise-2022-07-08/
- 2. FUNDING: Carrick Capital Invests $75 Million in Cybersecurity Company Bishop Foxhttps://www.wsj.com/articles/carrick-capital-invests-75-million-in-cybersecurity-company-bishop-fox-11657792800
- 3. FUNDING: Swimlane Secures $70M Growth Round to Fuel Global Expansion of Next Generation Low-Code Security Automation Platformhttps://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220706005017/en/Swimlane-Secures-70M-Growth-Round-to-Fuel-Global-Expansion-of-Next-Generation-Low-Code-Security-Automation-Platform
- 4. FUNDING: Cyolo Raises $60 Million in Series B Financing to Meet the Rising Demand for Smarter, Faster and More Reliable Access to Digital Assets
- 5. FUNDING: Normalyze Announces $22.2M in Series A Funding to Solve the Biggest Issue in Modern Cloud Security: Data
- 6. FUNDING: Opaque System nets $22M to bring collaboration to confidential computing – SiliconANGLE
- 7. FUNDING: CloudQuery: Dev-First Cloud Asset Inventory, Congrats on the $15M Series A
- 8. FUNDING: Token Announces $13 Million Series B Funding Round and Appointment of New CEO to Disrupt the Authentication Markethttps://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20220629005343/en/Token-Announces-13-Million-Series-B-Funding-Round-and-Appointment-of-New-CEO-to-Disrupt-the-Authentication-Market
- 9. FUNDING: Security automation startup Cerby raises $12M to secure non-IT-managed apps
- 10. FUNDING: Hacker-led security startup Hadrian raises €10 5M, unsolicited seed round – Hadrian
- 11. FUNDING: INSPECTIV CLOSES $8.6M FUNDING ROUND, EXPANDS LEADERSHIP TEAM
- 12. FUNDING: IaC Security Leader oak9 Raises $8 Million in Additional Funding
- 13. FUNDING: Infrastructure as Code (IaC) Security Leader oak9 Raises $8 Million in Additional Funding
- 14. ACQUISITIONS: Seven Months After Acquisition by Schwarz Group, XM Cyber Acquires Cyber Observer
- 15. ACQUISITIONS: Zendesk sells to private equity group for $10.2B – TechCrunch
- 16. LAYOFFS: Snyk – Announcing organizational updates to better serve our customers
- 17. LAYOFFS: Facing Slowing Growth And Worker Discontent, High-Flying Fintech Unicorn Socure Lays Off 13% Of Staff
- 18. LAYOFFS: Big layoff at Interos.ai TodayInteros.ai continues its slide from an exciting unicorn to a complete failure. Today they did a 15% layoff across the organization, including sales. Interos has failed to make any major sales this year and seems destined to go to the scrap pile. #Interos #Layoff
- 19. LAYOFFS: Finite State – Columbus Inno – Drive Capital-backed cybersecurity startup cuts jobs amid economic downturn
- 20. LAYOFFS: $IRNT Ironnet Reduces Number Of Employees by About 55, Which Represents About 17% Of Total Employees
- 21. LAYOFFS: Highflying Cyber Firms Cut Staff After Raising Hundreds of Millions of Dollars
- 22. NEW HIRES: CyCognito Appoints Anne Marie Zettlemoyer as Chief Security Officer
- 23. NEW PRODUCTS: Introducing 1Password for Visual Studio Code
- 24. NEW PRODUCTS: Tensor9 – Use sensitive data without seeing it
- 25. NEW PRODUCTS: Amazon launches CodeWhisperer, a GitHub Copilot-like AI pair programming tool – TechCrunch
- 26. NEW TOOL: Microsoft open sources Salus software bill of materials (SBOM) generation tool
- 27. NEW TOOL: Introducing Splunk Attack Range v2.0
- 28. NEW SERVICE: Deloitte launches a new zero-trust access managed servicehttps://venturebeat.com/2022/07/11/deloitte-zero-trust-access/#amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&aoh=16577160373805&csi=0&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&share=https%3A%2F%2Fventurebeat.com%2F2022%2F07%2F11%2Fdeloitte-zero-trust-access%2F
- 29. TRENDS: Python packages upload your AWS keys, env vars, secrets to the webTime to play our favorite gameshow, "ACTUAL THREAT OR JUST RESEARCHER"?!?
- 30. TRENDS: Sequoia, Adapting to Endure – Page 23, Survival of the Quickest
- 31. TRENDS: NIST unveils four algorithms that will underpin new ‘quantum-proof’ cryptography standards
- 32. TRENDS: The Cybersecurity Skills Gap is Another Instance of Late-stage Capitalism
- 33. STANDARDS: CIS Software Supply Chain Security Guide 1.0
- 34. REGULATION: SEC Cybersecurity Proposed Rules
- 35. RESEARCH: Here’s how GreyNoise reduces the noise for IPv6 networks.https://www.greynoise.io/blog/diving-in-the-ipv6-ocean
- 36. SQUIRREL: Maastricht University wound up earning money from its ransom payment
- 37. SQUIRREL: BMW owners outraged over $18-a-month charge to use heated seatshttps://nypost.com/2022/07/12/bmw-owners-outraged-over-18-a-month-charge-to-use-heated-seats/?sp_amp_linker=1*1b14tj3*amp_id*cEV5dllJVFRHb01Eblc5WUFsV2tXcENrVDlvWU9laVVaUmx3OVhNZUp1RmhMMVNHUkVpQVFEbnFCM1ktcHBkUg..