Zombie Birds, Amazon AI LLM, Zscaler Beef, & Comcast Security!?! – ESW #314
In the Enterprise Security News, Lots of funding announcements and new companies, Private Equity acquires Maltego, Cinven acquires RSA Archer Comcast launches a security product, Zscaler has beef with Gartner, CISA releases updated Zero Trust Model, Amazon jumps into the AI LLM fray, AutoGPT stretches the imagination and potential use cases, The Ever Changing API security market, New security books just released, Zombie birds!
Join us at an upcoming Official Cyber Security Summit in a city near you! This series of one-day, invitation-only, executive level conferences are designed to educate senior cyber professionals on the latest threat landscape.
We are pleased to offer our listeners $100 off admission when you use code SecWeek23 to register.
Visit securityweekly.com/cybersecuritysummit to learn more and register today!
- 1. FUNDING: ID.me Appoints Samantha Greenberg as Chief Financial Officer and Raises $132 Million in Series D Funding
- 2. FUNDING: SpecterOps Raises $25M to Accelerate Company Growth and Expand Attack Path Management Solutions – SpecterOps
- 3. FUNDING: Australian firm Fivecast secures $20m in Series A
- 4. FUNDING: Otterize raises $11.5M to help developers securely connect software services
- 5. FUNDING: CYFIRMA raises $5.5M in pre-Series B round led by OurCrowd, L&T Innovation Fund
- 6. FUNDING: Privacy tech startup Oblivious raises €5.35m in funding
- 7. ACQUISITIONS: Maltego Secures $100M to Accelerate Growth of its Intelligence Platform to Combat Cybercrime and Misinformation
- 8. ACQUISITIONS: Cinven to acquire Archer
- 9. NEW COMPANIES: Mobb
Automated vuln remediation
- 10. NEW COMPANIES: Strike One
- 11. NEW COMPANIES: Inside-Out Defense
- 12. NEW PRODUCTS: alphaMountain.ai – threatYeti research portal
Another option for threat and OSINT research
- 13. NEW PRODUCTS: Comcast Technology Solutions Launches DataBee™ Platform to Enable Large Enterprises to Effectively Manage Enterprise Security, Risk, and Compliance
Anyone want a cloud-native data fabric from Comcast? No? I didn't think so.
- 14. CYBERDRAMA: Cybersecurity Firm Zscaler Loses Coveted Spot in Gartner Ranking Due to ‘Sales Arrogance’
Oooooh, spicy! Gartner has downgraded two 800 pound gorillas recently - first Palo Alto Networks, and now Zscaler.
- 15. STANDARDS: CISA Releases updated Zero Trust Maturity Model
Good to have stuff like this toss the marketing aside and standardize the space a bit
- 16. REPORTS: 2023 State of Exposure Management from XM Cyber and Cyentia
Chock full of interesting insights, this report explores XM Cyber's extensive data on attack paths (all the potential ways an attacker could get into an environment). It also makes some very progressive statements on how to handle risk and vulnerabilities. For example:
"Threats and vulnerabilities that don't jeopardize critical assets can be effectively zeroed out."
- 17. LESSONS: Creating email detection rules for Sublime Security
- 18. AI TRENDS: Glass AI by Glass Health
Hypochondriacs rejoice, it's WebMD 2.0!
- 19. AI TRENDS: Amazon Is Joining the Generative AI Race
Amazon's inevitable, but important entry into the LLM AI space is upon us. We've been predicting that it's just a matter of time before enterprises build the "virtual AI employee", and this is a big building block towards that goal.
Amazon Bedrock will provide access to LLMs from Anthropic and AI21 - both startups competing directly with OpenAI's offerings. Amazon also has two generative language models: Titan Text to generate text from a prompt, and Text Embeddings, which can be used for translation and search.
AWS will also offer access to Stable Diffusion.
- 20. AI TRENDS: Auto-GPT: An Autonomous GPT-4 Experiment
NOW things are getting interesting. I really need to re-read Daniel Suarez's Daemon.
- 21. AI TRENDS: BabyAGI
- 22. TRENDS: Tech Companies Unveil New Hacking Policy Council, Legal Defense Fund for Researchers
This seems like a very positive development!
- 23. ESSAYS: Why cybersecurity is national security – TFX Capital
- 24. ESSAYS: The Ever Changing API Security Market
- 25. NEW BOOKS: Security Chaos Engineering: Sustaining Resilience in Software and Systems
- 26. NEW BOOKS: 1% Leadership
- 27. SQUIRREL: Scientists in New Mexico are giving dead birds a new life…
...with an unconventional approach to wildlife research — converting them into drones
- 28. SQUIRREL: TikTok ban gets final approval by Montana’s GOP legislature