President Obama Tuesday extended the duration of the economic sanctioning powers that were put in place last year to deal with the increasing number cyber attacks against the U.S.
In April 2015, President Obama issued an executive order to combat “malicious cyber-enabled activities” executed wholly, or in “substantial part,” by foreign attackers targeting the U.S., which included a detailed sanctions program that authorized government officials to strike back at threat actors.
“These significant malicious cyber-enabled activities continue to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States,” Obama said in a White House press release.
President Obama said the measures adopted last year must continue in effect beyond April 1, 2016.
The administration has yet to use any sanctions, but some believe this may change following the recent indictment of the seven Iranian hackers.